Quotes from Hujjat ul-Islam, Imam Abu Hamid al-Ghazali (rahmatullahi ‘alayhi):
- Knowledge without action is vanity, and action without knowledge is insanity.
- Knowledge exists potentially in the human soul like the seed in the soil; by learning the potential becomes actual.
- Using his powers to attain to knowledge can raise him up to the ranks of Angels. Following desire he is brought down to the level of beasts.
- Dear seeker, you will not be able to rise to carry out the commands of Allah until you monitor your heart and limbs in every moment and every breath.
- The corruption of religions comes from turning them to mere words and appearances.
Refer to Imam al-Ghazali’s “Ayyuha-l-Walad” (translated as “Letter to a Disciple”) for a detailed explanation of the matter.